from Family Fun (www.familyfun.go.com)
Here's a treat hungry students are sure to dig: baby carrots planted in tasty dip. What a fun snack to come home to after a full day of school activity or the perfect classroom treat!
- Carrot Patch Ingredients
- Hummus (see recipe below)
- Baby carrots
- Curly parsley
- For each patch, spoon about 3 tablespoons of hummus into a small plastic cup (ours were 3-ounce size).
- Shortly before serving, gather four (or more) baby carrots for each cup and use a toothpick to poke a hole in the top of each one. Insert a sprig of parsley into each hole.
- Then plant the carrots in the hummus.
- For a special presentation, you can place the cups in mini terra-cotta pots. These pots can be used again and again or you can use them to start a seedling of their own.
One 15 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1 crushed garlic clove
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini (sesame-seed paste)
Puree all the ingredients in a food processor or blender until creamy. Leftovers can be refrigerated, covered, for a week. Makes 1-1/2 cups.