Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sugar, Chocolate and Peanut Butter

by Kelly Miller

Today I am sharing two recipes that my grandmother passed down to my mother, who has since passed them down to me.  Every year they are requested by friends ... I can imagine my grandmother in her farmhouse making these for my dad.  Enjoy!

Grandma Brun's Sugar Cookies
Cream:  1 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup butter or lard (if using lard, add 1/2 teaspoon salt)
Add:  2 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla (also 1/4 teaspoon almond extract if desired)
Then add:  3 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Refrigerate dough.  Then roll out 1/4 inch or less thick.  Bake at 375 degrees for 7-8 minutes on greased pans.  Frost.


Peanut Butter Krispie Balls
Bring to boil:  1 cup sugar, 1 cup dark Karo syrup
Remove from heat and add:  2 cups peanut butter and 4 cups Rice Krispies
Mix well and form into small balls.  Melt semi-swee ice cap coating chips, then dip balls.  Cool on wax paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment